A moment of sharing and preparation before Provinical Chapter 21
Just before the end of Term one, the Salesian community at Dominic College in Glenorchy invited the School Captains, Vice-Captains and four Mission Captains to discuss the 4 questions given by the moderator in preparation for Provincial Chapter 21. They were accompanied by the Principal Beth Gilligan and Alicia McMahon, Director of Mission, as they collectively came up with the following list as to what kind of Salesians these Year 10s want at Dominic College:
- Salesians who are approachable, Salesians who are connected to students on a deeper level
- Salesians who put others needs before their own
- Salesians who are kind-hearted
- Salesians who show joy
- Salesians who ‘get involved in stuff… like playing basketball with us at recess and lunch’
- Salesians whose actions influence others positively
- Salesians with whom it is easy to have a conversation
- Salesians who are good adult role models
- Salesians who help us connect with God
- Salesians who can unpack the Christian tradition.
In a recent school newsletter, I wrote ‘I can assure the whole College community that Fr Damien, Br Barry, myself and any other Salesian who is appointed to Dominic College will endeavour to put all those characteristics into action.’ After the discussions, the student and school leaders joined us for Mass and Dinner in what was overall, an extremely worth-while and fruitful exercise.